Hello, Cec here and I am bringing you a simple Step X Step. With all the hustle and bustle of the holiday season, I decided something less elaborate was in order as we all get back into our craft rooms so I am going to show you an altered playing card that I made. Sorry about the quality of the photos but it couldn't decide if it wanted to be sunny or dreary here the day I did this so I got some reflection from my desk lamps on some of them.
I started with the Joker from a very old deck of cards. I altered both sides of the card but I am only going to show you one side in my photos. The other side has all the same elements but the placement is slightly different.
Even when I mess up or have extras, I hang on to them because you never know when they might come in handy. From my pile, I chose this bright yellow mottled piece that I made by dabbing Wild Honey and Squeezed Lemonade Distress Ink on my kraft mat, spritzing it with water and then dragging the card stock through it. I adhered it to both sides of the playing card. Tip: Adhere one side first and when it is dry trim around the card, then repeat with the other side - it makes it much easier to see where you need to trim.
Next I added some texture paste through a TCW Mini Harlequin stencil. You will notice in the remaining photos that even though the background had been sitting around probably for months the texture paste still sucked up some of the colour from the background since it was made with Distress Inks.
The next step was to do some stamping using Wendy Vecchi's Tree Branch Archival Ink. I used a piece of the Wendy Vecchi Large Collage Background stamp and I also used some of Wendy Vecchi's Watering Can Archival Ink with a music stamp from a 7 Gypsies set called Vintage.
I inked the edges with some Rusty Hinge DI.
I cut hearts from a scrap of corrugated cardboard in that pile and inked the edges with some Walnut Stain DI. The cardboard had already been highlighted with some white paint.
Next I glued a couple butterflies from Tim Holtz Tissue Wrap (Melange) to a scrap piece of card stock and inked them with Rusty Hinge DI and then fussy cut them. After they were cut, I decided to add some Festive Berries DI with a water brush. I forgot to take a photo of that but you will see it in the finished project.
The butterflies were then adhered to the hearts and added to the card with a loop of burlap underneath.
Finally I added some pearls and a Tim Holtz Chit Chat sticker that I inked with Walnut Stain DI.
I don't create very fast but altering playing cards can be done so quickly and they are such fun to do so I hope you will give them a try.