Saturday, November 7, 2015

Saturday Step X Step - A Joyful Christmas

Hello Everyone, Pamellia here! So glad you dropped in to Frilly and Funkie today, I'm really excited to be here after my long hiatus and today I'm sharing my Saturday Step by Step. I have put together a snowy Christmas card using some products that just arrived from The Funkie Junkie Boutique!!


- I pulled a piece from the new Tim Holtz Festive Ephemera Pack and then I cut a backing from the Tim Holtz Yuletide Mini Paper Stash, just a quarter inch around for the frame. I inked the edges with Ranger Archival ink Coffee and then distressed them a bit for a vintage look.



- I coloured a small panel with Ranger Archival inks Coffee and Olive, then I stamped the Fabulous Flourishes using Coffee Archival ink. I used the Gothic stencil and some texture paste to lay down a pattern and while the paste was still wet, I covered it with Rock Candy dry Distress Glitter.




- Now for some cinnamon sticks. I sponged a small piece of paper with Coffee ink and then dragged the ink pad across the page to create the natural grain that cinnamon sticks have. Then simply roll them up and presto, mini cinnamon sticks for your Christmas cards or gifts.




- I had an unused tag that I had cut using the Tim Holtz Tag Collection set, so I thought I would put it to good use. I coloured it with Distress ink Pumice Stone and then used a stamp from the new Graphic 45 Christmas Carol set. I stamped it twice creating a sort of tall Brownstone building. Turned out great after I fussy cut it out and hid the center part.



- I cut out and embossed a snowflake using the Sizziz Bigz Layered Snowflake die/embossing folder set, then I spritzed it with Distress Spray Brushed Pewter. I wanted a more white gold sort of look, so I dulled it down with a touch of Coffee Archival ink.



- I coloured a piece of seam binding using Distress inks Forest Moss, Crushed Olive and Shabby Shutters. I crinkled it up for a wonderful vintage Christmas feel.


- Waste not, want not. I used the end cuts from my little panel to create some small fishtail banners to add a little extra interest to the card. This is such a great way to utilize your scraps.


- I have received a lot of inquiries about how I create my snowy look on my Christmas cards, so I thought I would share that with you today. I use three different stages to create the look.

- First I sponge on some Picket Fence Distress Paint. This is an important step because the paint will create a barrier between any dye colouring and the snow on top, to help prevent the snow from absorbing the colours under neath.


- Second stage is to water down a touch of the paint, or you can use Distress Spray instead. Dip a small brush and splatter the card to create snowflakes of different sizes.


- The last stage is to use some thick Gesso, Modelling Paste or Ranger Texture Paste and apply it randomly over the previously sponged areas. Put it on nice and thick to create snowy peaks and while it's wet, toss on a little Rock Candy Distress Glitter for some added sparkle! Presto, a snow covered card!


Here are some photos of the finished card. Unfortunately, I couldn't capture the beautiful shimmer of the Rock Candy distress glitter, but it's there and it's very sparkly! I added a beautiful cranberry pick from Petaloo, a new line at Linda's shop...isn't it festive! The little mittens charm is also from Linda's shop, she has tons of adorable charms for the Christmas season!






I hope you enjoyed my tutorial . Please feel free to let me know if you have any questions. There's still lots of time to enter our current challenge "LET THERE BE LIGHT", where we are looking for your shabby chic or vintage style project with something that makes reference to light, this could be a lamp, lantern, rays of light or even gradients of colour that get lighter!. We'll be back first thing on Monday to announce the winners of our last challenge, so make sure to check in for that.

Thanks for stopping in!
Hugs, Pamellia :)

If you would like to try some of these wonderful products, they are available at The Funkie Junkie Boutique:

30 comments:

  1. You're a star Pamellia. ..so many gorgeous details especially the cinnamon sticks...what a fab idea. You have created a real little snow storm here just beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Especially loved the way you made the cinnamon sticks

    ReplyDelete
  3. There simply are no words for how beautiful this is! I LOVE how you've taken papers and ephemera we know and love and changed the look so perfectly. Outstanding Pamellia! Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great step by step Pamellia :-) Wonderful details in your Christmas project and I love the way you rolled the cinnamon sticks....very clever. Thank You for sharing the details of your snowy backgrounds too........I really must make a start on my Christmas cards

    TFS and enjoy your weekend
    Annie x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous project and step by step. I just love the outcome. Very clever indeed. Thanks for sharing how you came up with this beautiful creation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A stunning card Pamelia!! Thank you so much for sharing your snow technique and the little tute on creating the cinnamon sticks .. brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful card Pamellia, love all the different elements you've added. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely stunning. I love your cinnamon sticks and I a,ways love how you add layers to your designs. A truly gorgeous card. Tracy x X

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful Christmas card, Pamelia and such a wonderful detailed tutorial. Your art is truly lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous card Pamellia - it is bountiful with beauty and texture! Brilliant step by step - love your cinnamon sticks - I will copy this for sure! Also thanks for saying about applying paint so colour underneath doesn't get absorbed - will remember this tip. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  11. AMAZING Pamellia! Awesome!
    ♥♥♥
    Susi

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Pamellia,
    thank you so much for this wonderful tutorial.
    It's very lovely to see it all in action so to speak.
    Lots of crafty love. Jenny L.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful card, Pamellia! Thanks for the awesome tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic!! Thanks for sharing all the details about how you make these stunning cards - beautiful eye candy! xxx Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  15. I loved your step by step, very helpful, I learned a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Really beautiful card with superb techniques. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautifully crafted Christmas card! Love the techniques, thank you for the tutorial xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing Pamellia, I love all of the snowy details and your fabulous cinnamon sticks!
    Hugs, Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is fantastic! Thank you for sharing all your snowy secrets, and the tips on how to make cinnamon sticks! I can almost smell their spiciness! Now, if you could only train me on how to come up with these wonderful designs!! You are SO talented, and your designs just leave me shaking my head in wonder every time I see one! This project, as are all your projects, leave me SO inspired! Lovely! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW, if I had those "ingredients" in front of me I couldn't come up with a creation anywhere near the wonder of this card, it's amazing, and I HAVE to mention the cinnamon sticks, another creative and wonderment from you. I agree with Sara (above) I shake my head in wonder every time I see your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you hun for sharing this gorgeous step by step!! Your card is spell binding, xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a beautiful card, Pamellia. I love your snowy background and am excited to see how you created it. Those cinnamon sticks are truly inspired. It's such a treat to have you share a step by step with us. Thank you for the inspiration!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just love how you've created the soft snowy white-washed look on all the papers and as Linda and others have said the cinnamon sticks are sensational - I'm guessing there will be lots of us borrowing that piece of inspiration. Fabulous card!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Absolutely gorgeous Pamellia. So much detail. I love the wonderful textures. layers and muted colours. The faux cinnamon sticks are brilliant xx

    ReplyDelete
  25. Stunning! Thanks for sharing your magic tricks! Hugs, Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous! I too love your techniques Pamellia!

    ReplyDelete
  27. A completely stunning card Pamellia, the cinnamon sticks look so realistic and the snowy background is superb. Thanks so much for sharing your great tips and tutorial too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm just in awe of your imagination and the way you can put your projects together so beautifully Pamellia. I didn't want you to cover up your elegant house... ugh. But then, when you were finished... it's just wonderful - top to bottom. The step by step was soooo helpful but even with your wonderful instruction... no one can do it like you can - in my book. j.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Absolutely fabulous Pamellia, some great tips, which I shall be using. Many thanks for the detailed explanation of how you did everything. I particularly love the cinnamon sticks. I can see me making a stack of those for my Christmas cards this year.

    Dionne xx

    ReplyDelete