Welcome to another Saturday Step X Step. It's Cec here and today I am going to share an altered notebook with you. The idea behind this was inspired by the items in a little thank you bag of goodies that I received from Linda with my last order.
This is something special that always comes from The Funkie Junkie Boutique and they put coordinating themed items in these little gift packets so you can make a project with them - this one was butterflies.
This is the finished project and if you read down, you can see how it all came about.
I started with a 5" x 7" notebook that I picked up at the dollar store. I began by taking the covers off and giving them a coat of Gesso on both sides.
Next I took some Red Geranium Archival Ink and sponged it on and then gave it some splatters with rubbing alcohol, which in the end turned out be a waste of time because I just covered them up anyway but that's OK - we all do it. I also inked it with some Scattered Straw Distress Ink but forgot to take a photo of that.
The next step was to crumble up some tissue paper, undo it and glue it to the covers. For each cover, I added tissue on one side, let it dry and then trimmed it around the edges before I added the tissue on the other side.
Next I spritzed each side with some Cherry Pie Dylusions Spray Ink. I was disappointed to discover that it looked bright pink rather the red I expected so I had to change course a bit. Once the ink was dry, I dry brushed a light coat of Gesso on each side of each cover in order to knock back the colour a bit.
Because the distress ink was too light after I knocked back the colour, I reapplied it and this time I remembered to take a photo.
I got out my ever present natural sea sponge (best craft room tool ever) and dabbed some Dark Scarlet Deco Art acrylic paint randomly on each side - now I have RED.
Next I started to prepare the elements I was going to use to decorate the front cover with. First I used some Scattered Straw DI to dye some venise lace and set it aside to dry.
One of the goodies in the bag was this corrugated butterfly so I altered the colour by painting it with Fired Brick and Scattered Straw Distress Ink using a water brush. I have discovered that the layers have a tendency to separate if you get this white corrugated cardboard too wet but not a problem - I just glued the layers back together. Once it was dry I added some red pearl stickers to make a body
I took a white paper rose and dyed it with Red Geranium Archival Ink using a paint brush and some rubbing alcohol. I used some Fired Brick DI to paint a little butterfly I made from crafter's clay and a silicon mold and then added some Holly Red Stickles to give it some shimmer.
Next I put everything together starting with the gorgeous plaid ribbon topped by the dyed lace. The vintage ephemera, which came from the goodie bag was distressed and torn before I added it. I tucked some seed beads where it was torn. Next I added a piece of red burlap and topped it with the corrugated butterfly, a large red daisy from my stash topped with the dyed rose, the butterfly button from the goodie bag and a button from my stash. Finally I added the tiny butterfly along with a few sequins that I picked up from the dollar store.
I think my dollar store notebook looks much better now and I hope you are inspired to alter one too. This would make a super gift for someone special.
Now customers of The Funkie Junkie can share their projects made from their thank you gifts on our Pinterest board. Here is the link to the Pinterest board so I hope you will take your packet of goodies, create something wonderful and share it so everyone can see.
The following items used to create this project came from The Funkie Junkie Boutique - great customer service, great prices and little gifts too: