Thursday, March 27, 2014

Welcome to today's Guest Designer, Nikki!

Today is the day that we welcome our next Guest Designer, Nikki of A2A - Addicted to Art. Nikki was the DT's chosen winner from the 'Stencils and Texture' challenge. So, let's move on quickly to hear from Nikki and see what project she's sharing with us today.


Hi everyone, I am Nikki and I live in Hampshire, England. I work for my local hospice and apart from crafting enjoy sport, although my newly acquired crafting pursuits seem to be taking over! I started crafting just over 5 months ago after being introduced to it by a friend, when I popped to her house to borrow a Halloween costume! When the pupil is ready, the teacher appears.

Over the years I have explored art in different forms but was quite disillusioned and hadn't done anything for a few years. Seeing Cath's work and very healthy stash of goodies I was inspired! I love the vintage style, getting messy with inks and paints and exploring different techniques. It is a pleasure to be asked to be the Guest Designer at Frilly and Funkie and I hope you like my project.


When I was informed of the theme for my appearance as guest designer I was relieved! Time after Time or clocks is a topic I enjoy working with and more importantly I had some stamps and dies that fitted the subject. However it is quite daunting being a guest designer for the first time so I did feel a little under pressure at first – then I realised I can only do what I can do, so relaxed a little. I hope you enjoy my work.

I decided to make a wall hanging using a chipboard frame. The overall size is 10.25 x 8.25 inches with the aperture 7x5 inches. I wanted to age it so used Paper Artsy Fresco Finish paints and crackle glaze. It started off quite pale (stone), but I later made it darker adding Chocolate Pudding paint and Walnut Stain Distress Ink.


For the panel inside the frame I took some card and just starting adding various bits and pieces; old die cuts, stamped material, book pages etc. I realised this needed subduing a bit so added a watered down gesso wash and some subtle Paper Artsy paints to tone in with my embellishments. I die cut 3 clocks (Cheery Lynn Clock w/Angel wing) and proceeded to add more Fresco paints and finally some aged taupe embossing enamel. I then cut them up and added them to the border of the inside panel.My butterfly (also Cheery Lynn) was changed several times before I was happy with it – finally I just painted it with Chocolate Pudding and added UTEE.

 

I try to live my life each day and this is the message I wanted to convey, it is easy to make our happiness contingent on future events - when really all we have is today – so the time is now! ‘Live for the Moment’ was stamped on a book page distressed with walnut stain and mounted onto a piece of die cut corrugated cardboard which I painted, distressed and inked. I love my new Heartfelt Creations – Once upon a Time stamps – so I proceeded to stamp and die cut some clocks to embellish the frame. I treated them all differently with inking, paints, gilding, mica and embossing powders.

Many thanks for reading and I look forward to seeing all your creations.

Nikki

I'm sure you'll agree that Nikki's project is fantastic! It definitely gives you even more inspiration for the current challenge, 'Time After Time', and if you enter you too could be joining us as a Guest Designer.

9 comments:

  1. This is stunning Nikki. Loved the crackled frame and the arrangement of clocks too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to believe you've only recently started crafting Nikki! This is such a gorgeous picture - love the crackled frame and the way you've layered up those die cuts. Thanks so much for being a Guest Designer here at Frilly and Funkie. Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your time themed frame is just gorgeous Nikki! Like Jenny says, it is hard to believe you are so new to this, your work is fabulous. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fantastic project! Hard to believe that you're so new to mixed media!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fabulous project with lots of great techniques and clocks to fit the challenge. I would never have guessed you are a newbie because this is wonderful. I am glad you could join us as a Guest Designer.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous project Nikki ! Thank you so much for agreeing to be our Guest Designer ! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your lovely comments Nikki xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely wonderful hanging Nikki. Congrats on your first guest design piece, I've no doubt you'll do many more. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your wall hanging is absolutely divine, Nikki!! I love it so much I want to scrap lift from you:-)) I just ordered the HFC Once Upon a Time line and was so excited when everything arrived in record time. I haven't had a chance to play with any of it yet, but your beautiful project has totally inspired me!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete