Saturday, March 22, 2014

Saturday Step x Step - Neglected die

Hello and welcome to today's step x step ! It's Sue here and today I'm sharing the details behind my project for the current challenge, to use a neglected die. I was very fortunate to attend one of Lin Brown's classes last week end which was making a chunky book, and today I'm sharing my version. You may need a cup of tea handy for this one !


The die that I have, ashamedly, neglected is the Cabinet die. I even bought the smaller Movers & Shapers die and still didn't do anything with it ! So when Lin showed us last week how to use it and create a chunky book I thought it was the perfect time to dig it out, dust it off and put it through my Big Shot ! I've used grey board as the substrate, which I think may also be known as chipboard. It comes in different thicknesses and is excellent as a substrate as it takes a lot of punishment without warping ! I die cut several pieces using both the large and small die and also created a frame from one of the larger die cut pieces.


The frame is what I've used for my front cover. First of all I spread black Wendy Vecchi Embossing Paste over it, once dry I then spread Wendy's Crackled Texture Paste over the top and put it to one side to dry.


And this is what happens ! Isn't it fantastic ! The black from the underneath shows through the cracks and really highlights the crackled surface.


I then used Archival inks and Cut 'n' Dry foam to sponge ink over the frame.


I then got carried away and apologies, didn't take many staged photo's so I'll have to describe what went on ! I painted the inside of the frame and then stamped it using the check stamp from the Nature's Art set using Potting Soil Archival ink. Then on to page 1 ! I covered these pages with designer paper and gave them a coat of Matt Medium to seal them. Then I stencilled the checks using the Prima Checker stencil using white acrylic paint. Once dry I used more acrylic paint that's been watered down over the top. The white paint resists the later layers, I then dry brushed around the edge with brown acrylic paint. The smaller panel has also been covered with paper and then I've used the Wendy Vecchi The Beauty of Art and Approved Art sets stamping with black Archival ink.


On the other side of page one I painted the board white first of all then I started to build up the colour. Watering down my paint and drying in between layers. Then I used the Prima Rattan stencil and again used the same technique, starting off with white drying the paint and then re-positioning the stencil to build up the layers of colour.


I kept the next page small and again I've painted it white and then built up the colour. I then stamped the grass from the Wendy Vecchi Art Comforts set and painted the little flower. The litte girl is from the Artistic Outpost A Lovely Day set and I've painted her with acrylic paint and cut her out.



On the reverse side I've used the Prima Floral Rose no.1 stencil and then stamped the sentiment from the Art Comforts set over the top. Again, I've dry brushed around the edge with brown acrylic paint.


 The next page was also cover in paper and sealed with Matt Medium. I then used another stencil, again with white acrylic paint and brushed over it with watered down paint. I love how the text from the paper and the stencilling shows through.



I painted the flower from the Wendy Vecchi The Beauty of Art set and cut it out and glued it down using Matt Medium. The sentiment is also from The Beauty of Art set.


On the other side, this was also covered in paper and I used the stamp from the Approved Art set and stamped with white acrylic paint. The same technique was used to build up layers of colour over the top and I stamped the sentiment from The Beauty of Art set with black Archival ink.


This is definitely my favourite page in the book ! Both die cuts have been covered with paper, then I stencilled with white acrylic paint on the larger shape and painted over it. Then I used the stamp from the Daisy Art set and stamped with black Archival ink. On the smaller die cut I've stamped the same flower but this time with white acrylic paint so it's used as a resist. I've used the two flourishes from the same set and the border stamp is from The Beauty of Art set. The flower has been painted, cut out and glued to the page.


To finish off, the back page has been painted white and then the same technique of building up the colour. I then stamped with white acrylic paint using the background stamp from the Heirloom Art set. The fabulous approved stamp is from the Approved Art set. All of the pages have had Treasure Gold brushed around the edge to finish them off. I punched holes in each page and used jewellery twine to bind them all together.

I hope you've enjoyed today's Step x Step and it's encouraged you to rummage through your dies and create something !

Sue
x

12 comments:

  1. Totally fab project Sue, each page is an absolute treasure! I so love the techniques you use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowza!! I love the book - my cabinet die is sadly neglected too... thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a stunning little cabinet of art!!
    Wow-inspiring!
    Thanks for sharing
    XxRuth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my word, this is just stunning! I think it's time to look at my (more than a few, sadly!) neglected dies and see what transpires! Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue C - what a great tutorial! Thank you so much my cabinet card has been neglected too - you have given me some wonderful ideas so the cabinet card can find it's way through the big shot. Have a great & creative weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your album is amazing, Sue!! I truly can't stop admiring it. I love every single detail and technique that you have used, and I have learned SO much from your step by step. Thank you so much for sharing your process!!
    Hugs,
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is lovely to see the Beauty of Art being used Sue, I love your beautiful little album, great use of those wonderful dies. Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so gorgeous, Sue. You use this colour palette so beautifully. I love the texture on the cover frame, and wonderful stamping inside.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the inspiration! This turned out lovely, the colors are so rich. My die is sadly neglected too, I'll have to get it out again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is beautiful, I love everything about it. I'm pinning!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, this is fantastic and the tutorial is wonderful. Love the colours and that crackle texture paste is on my wishlist after seeing the result here. Every page is another example of your expertise and creativity.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
  12. as usual...
    fabulous art!
    great tutorial...
    wow!

    ReplyDelete