Now how's this for a challenge - I added the lighter coloured Distress Paints (Frayed Burlap and Bundled Sage) in patches directly onto the black cover. As you can see, the coverage was really good, showing just how opaque these paints are. They are also very wet, which for this was ideal as it allowed plenty of time to mist them gently with water and blend them well before they dried.
I let the paint dry 'naturally' rather than employing a heat tool as I found this way it allowed the paint to continue to react with the water and blend more. It also seems to start to develop something of a sheen if I use a heat tool, whereas leaving it to dry ensured the finish remained matte. I then added a layer of watered down matte Glue n Seal with a paint brush to protect the surface. This wouldn't be necessary normally but I know how much abuse this sketchbook is likely to face and wanted to protect the cover as much as possible initially.
With the surface covered, I removed the masking tape and then glued on some filigree metal pieces with Glossy Accents (it's strong stuff!). If you add Stickles into some of the recesses it creates a jewel like effect as it dries flat.
Nearly there peeps! With the cover finished attention turned to the inside covers. I dry embossed paper using a diffuser to give a flat portion to stamp on.
I swiped across the raised areas with some permanent sand coloured ink and then stamped chemistry images onto the centres using Watering Can Archival Ink.
Finally I blended Frayed Burlap Distress Ink around the edges and misted the pages to 'set' the ink. Once dry they were layered onto the inside covers.
If you want to see more of the finished results you can find them HERE. In the meantime I hope this has given you an insight into my experiences with Distress Paints.
Thanks so much for joining me. Have a great weekend, hugs Jenny xxx